Design and Construction Week 2017
Designers, builders, manufacturers and everyone else in the kitchen and bath industry has been looking forward to Design and Construction Week for months. For most of us, it’s a belated Christmas present we’ve been dying to open. Not only is this show a time to see the latest and greatest, but it’s also an opportunity to take classes and educate ourselves in our field. Let’s not forget to mention it’s also a reunion for many who haven’t seen each other since the previous year. The friendships you cultivate last a lifetime. When you add up all this greatness, you are sure to have a fantastic show experience. Let me unfold these events and prepare to be inspired!
The National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) holds the Kitchen and Bath Industry Show (KBIS) alongside the National Home Builders Association (NAHB), who hold the International Builders Show (IBS), to create, what we now call, Design and Construction Week. Combining these two shows is extremely beneficial to its attendees because of the opportunity to see twice as much product all in the same location.
Here’s my list of the products that caught my eye. Enjoy!
- Throw out all the rules! Almost every vendor was mixing colors, textures and styles. Design Craft displayed a kitchen with contemporary high gloss upper cabinets with traditional, inset, rustic wood stained base cabinets. It’s time to start thinking outside the box!
- Shiny, brushed, distressed or painted! Kitchen and bath faucets, cabinets, appliances and more are now available in any color imaginable. Instead of eliminating colors from their selections, companies are adding finishes and will keep on adding them. Let your imagination run wild!
- Technology is here to stay. Virtual Reality was HOT at this years Design and Construction Week. Virginia Tech, DuPont, Cabico and more introduced virtual reality into designing spaces. Once your space is drafted into a computer program, throw on the headset and get ready to walk through your home before construction even begins.
- Storage solutions are always a top priority when designing a new space. This year was no different. Cabinet manufacturers highlighted their genius storage ideas and designers loved each and every one of them.
- Last, but not least, outdoor living spaces were expanded upon during the show and they didn’t disappoint. Nature Cast introduced their outdoor cabinetry, which looks like real wood! Goodbye cold, stainless steel cabinets. Hello cabinets full of character!
Share with us your favorite products from the list! Enjoy the new trends in the kitchen and bath industry!